Monday, October 17, 2011

Going to study Veganism; what I have learned so far

My Step daughter that I raised from the age of 5 till 12 is coming to visit us for Christmas, we hope. She has made a lifestyle choice when she moved in with her mother to become a vegan. She has refused to talk to her doctor about the foods she needs to eat to meet nutritional requirements. Its sad here I am a with a background in Nutrition and its all based on the Food pyramid that has meat and dairy in it and I am totally at loss to veganism. As a child I lived as a vegetarian for three years and my mom refused to let us kids have refined sugar. I am a pro at making oatmeal burgers, mushroom burgers, cheesy vegatable casserole but every single one of them contain dairy or eggs. I have been able to give advice for celiac or gluten allergies but again and am at a loss on responsible veganism.
I plan to the research and find some good recipes so while my daughter is here we can eat good quality and healthy meals together and maybe in the process I can learn and share the proper diet (meaning healthy)of veganism.

In one blog I read:
Almost all foods except for alcohol, sugar, and fats provide some protein. Vegan sources include: lentils, chickpeas, tofu, peas, peanut butter, soy milk, almonds, spinach, rice, whole wheat bread, potatoes, broccoli, kale...
For example, if part of a day's menu included the following foods, you would meet the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein for an adult male:
1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup soy milk
2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 bagel
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 cup vegetarian baked beans
5 ounces tofu, 2 Tablespoons of almonds
1 cup broccoli, and 1 cup brown rice.

You most likely have to make your own breads and bagels with your egg substitutes. I know here in Alaska it would not be easily bought unless you wanted to pay outrageous prices.
I found a nice vegan pamphlet

Wow in another site I was reading the people who are not animal conscious go on the Vegan diet because its reffered to as the "Skinny diet" It says there is fads that an adult could handle but a teenager or growing child could cause major disasters and deficiencies trying them. Like for instance while on a vegan diet you should never do a cleanse and Never fast. If you are getting headaches you should seek a nutritionalist immediately. Web MD seems to me to be very opposed to vegan-ism and is no help for a teenage child who is most likely gonna be adamant in following it whether its some fad to loose weight or is animal conscientious.

Oh great on here http://thevegandiet.blogspot.com/ I find now there are two types of Veganism one of them called RAW so I guess I better have hubby call her and make sure we know exactly what kind she is on. Here on this website it talks of a macroiotic diet.
Some macrobiotic diets fall into the vegan category. Macrobiotic diets restrict not only animal products but also refined and processed foods, foods with preservatives, and foods that contain caffeine or other stimulants.


Well its really late at night and I need some rest. Hope to do more studies tomorrow or You know what studies are making me not like this diet they have extreme health warnings and say its a risk so I am just gonna start looking at Recipes with the ingredients suggested to replace vitamins that are normally lost from not eating meat or dairy and one of them which I know to be very important for sleep functions and depression they say is impossible to get Vitamin B12 and they are very expensive supplement but even the supplement can not be taken without breaking there standards. So do not know what to do about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment