Christs Birth Foretold
The birth of Jesus Christ was an event that was planned and anticipated even before the creation of the Earth. All of the Old Testament prophets predicted the coming of the Savior and His birth into mortality.
Throughout the Old Testament, the practice of sacrifice was diligently followed, and that practice was in anticipation of the Savior’s sacrifice for us at the conclusion of His mortal life.
At the same time the prophets of the Old Testament were predicting the birth of the Savior, prophets in the New World, as reported in the Book of Mormon, also foretold His birth and His mortal mission. One of these prophets was Samuel the Lamanite. Samuel not only prophesied the actual occurrence of His birth, but also told of the signs by which the birth of Jesus in Judea would be made known to the Western world.
Video Samuel prophesies about Jesus being born
2. And behold, he said unto them: Behold, I give unto you a sign; for five years more cometh, and behold, then cometh the Son of God to redeem all those who shall believe on his name.
3. And behold, this will I give unto you for a sign at the time of his coming; for behold, there shall be great lights in heaven, insomuch that in the night before he cometh there shall be no darkness, insomuch that it shall appear unto man as if it was day.
4. Therefore, there shall be one day and a night and a day, as if it were one day and there were no night; and this shall be unto you for a sign; for ye shall know of the rising of the sun and also of its setting; therefore they shall know of a surety that there shall be two days and a night; nevertheless the night shall not be darkened; and it shall be the night before he is born.
5. And behold, there shall a new star arise, such as one as ye never have beheld; and this also shall be a sign unto you.
6. And behold this is not all, there shall be many signs and wonders in heaven.
Make two column headings on the chalkboard: “Signs of Christ’s Birth” and “Signs of Christ’s Death.” Write all of the signs of Jesus Christ’s birth and death that were discussed in this lesson on separate pieces of paper, and mix them up in a small container. Let the children take turns picking one, reading it, and placing it under one of the two columns.
Great lights in heaven
A day and a night and a day as if there were no night
A new star
Many signs and wonders in heaven
Sun, moon, and stars shall be darkened
No light for three days
Thunderings and lightnings for many hours
Earth shall shake and tremble
Solid mass of rocks shall be broken up
Mountains laid low
Valleys become mountains
Highways broken up
Cities become desolate
Graves shall be opened and yield up their dead
SONG:Samuel Tells of The Baby Jesus
1. Said Samuel, “Within five years
A night will be as day,
And Baby Jesus will be born
In a land far, far away.”
Oh, let us gladly sing.
How blessed that our Lord was born;
Let earth receive her King!
2. Across the sea, in Bethlehem,
Lord Jesus came to earth
As Samuel had prophesied,
And angels sang His birth.
Words: Mabel Jones Gabbott, b. 1910
Music: Grietje Terburg Rowley, b. 1927
Original title: “Christmas in Zarahemla,” © 1985 by Mabel Jones Gabbott and Grietje Terburg Rowley. This song may be copied for incidental, noncommercial church or home use.
Please Share any more neat links or stuff I can do to make this fun and exciting to teach to my family.